We’ve all heard the phrase “A picture is worth a 1000 words”, well you know what, I believe a face to face meeting is worth a 1000 calls.
I’m really looking forward to the 5th National Networking Conference with TEAM, a great event supported by hundreds of recruiters from every sector and size.
Personally I love the TEAM events, they offer a great opportunity to meet with customers old and new, and no doubt mingle with a few future Voyager fans.
I’ll also be going to the Recruitment International Workforce Conference in London next Tuesday, what a busy few days!!
If you’ve never attended a Recruitment specific networking event I’d certainly recommend one of the above. Both events are pretty non-offensive and so even the most timid Recruiter is sure to benefit. The TEAM event offers a host of breakout rooms covering topics such as ‘motivating your team’, ‘tender planning’ and ‘how to develop candidate loyalty’. I’m also there to help those looking for advice when migrating from one CRM to another. If you’ve been wondering what to consider before investing in recruitment software – pop along and say Hi. I’ve also put a nifty whitepaper together to make it a little easier.
The recent growth and influx of orders at Voyager has shown that recruiters remain flat out busy 24/7, but I reckon if you had space in your busy schedule for one event this year, it should be one of the two above.
On the other hand – If you’re new to the industry and the thought of being in a room of recruiters scares you stiff then feel free to make the most of my top 5 networking tips:
- Network with intent – It’s pointless networking if you have no purpose or intent. These are new people, who are likely to warm to you if you’ve got something interesting to say, can help or see a reason to connect and build rapport.
- Be nice! – Life’s too short, don’t be too formal or challenging. Lighten up, be friendly and remember to smile!
- Two ears one mouth! – It’s an old one, but listen well, people don’t want to hear a pitch. Ask a short question, and listen well!
- Mingle – If you look bored they’re likely to be bored. You’re both there to get something from the experience. Be fair, be interesting and try to engage.
- Body language – Shake hands, don’t intrude and be personable. Also don’t forget to check that you haven’t got half a croissant on your blouse!
- Follow-up – Agree to follow up there and then, if there is reason to do so, and have a pocket full of business cards! Don’t try to be clever by swapping e-cards or giving a missed call – this isn’t time for gadgetry.
- Have fun – and make sure you find me to say Hi
Thanks for reading.
Paul Thompson – Sales@VoyagerSoftware.com
Voyager Infinity and Voyager Mid-Office are software solutions that make Recruiters’ lives easier. Voyager Infinity is a CRM used by thousands of recruiters globally to source, nurture and maintain the relationships with their clients and candidates, and Mid-Office manages the entire Pay and Bill process (IR35 ready).