And so, why do so many people answer their business phone like they just don’t care?
I totally get that not all inbound calls are going to be a priority, but how you answer the phone says plenty about you and your business.
Take me as an example; I help recruiters get the most from their technology and so I make lots of calls during a day. Most calls I like to think I make with enthusiasm and a bit of passion.
Over the years I’ve built relationships with hundreds of Recruiters. Most started on the phone, and then grew into meetings, coffees, networking events, golf, dinners and eventually client/customer relationships.
But most relationships start properly over the phone.
This isn’t a post about making sales calls, this is me sat here scratching my head wondering why so many answer the phone like they just don’t care?
7 Top Tips for answering the phone like you care
- Don’t answer the phone if you’re eating, smoking, driving, don’t have time, can’t be professional.
- Take a deep breath before you answer the call – it helps you to relax, gather your thoughts and sound professional.
- Agree a welcome message – ‘Hello’, then silence, isn’t professional and could put the caller into a different state of mind.
- Speak clearly when saying your name and company name – it’s important for the caller to know who they’re dealing with.
- Be polite.
- Set a professional voicemail for when you’re busy – and pick up the messages when you’re not.
- If you hate you job and don’t care – pretend.
If you’d like to know how our solution can help you offer a better, more efficient and timely service when the pressure is on, then drop us a line.
Blog written by Paul.Thompson@VoyagerSoftware.com