The answer to the question “what is the best recruitment software for agencies?” is a simple one: There isn’t one.
Every recruitment agency is different. The CRM, database and software needs of an agency placing candidates on a permanent basis in professional positions will be different to the needs of a temps agency placing workers on short terms shifts, to a retained search firm – or to a huge global organisation seeking to recruit graduates for internal hires..
As a result, rather than give you a simplistic answer designed to get you to purchase our software, I thought I’d lay out some of the key criteria to factor in to your decision making, based on what I’ve seen working with our agency clients.
What is the best recruitment software for agencies placing permanent staff?
The key challenges faced by perm agencies revolve around front office. You’ll need to identify candidates, identify clients and bring the two together. A recruitment CRM designed to do this will include these essential recruiting tools:
- Integrated job boards
- Automatic CV parsing and formatting
- Automated emails and messages
- Skills tests
- Social media connectivity
- Cloud-based for a global company
As example of a perm agency that undertook a detailed review of the software market before making an investment is Infosec People. Here’s what Chris Dunning-Walton, Director of the firm has to say about why he found Voyager’s Infinity solution to be the top recruitment software for his company:
“We reviewed the market for over 18 months conducting online and onsite demos from circa 10 suppliers. Voyager really stood out. We were looking for a modern way of recruiting which addressed today’s world, but we needed a proper solution, not a cut-down website with lots of add-ons as offered by most. I’m pleased to say our expectations were met and exceeded with Voyager Infinity SaaS. It’s transformed our operation.”
What is the best recruitment software for agencies placing temporary staff on shift-based contracts?
Recruiters involved in the placing of temps face a whole host of different challenges. The major challenges comprise candidate management and applicant dishonesty. Temporary recruitment agencies are constantly dealing with issues rising from lack of candidate visibility which makes it extremely challenging to find and place candidates. Speed is of the essence when placing temps.
If your business engages temp workforce, you will need to pick a software that have these key functionalities:
- Simple booking and sheet planners
- Easy candidate communication
- Skills tests
- Track time and attendance
- Integrated online timesheet entry, authorisation and approval
- Automated compliancy checks
- Produce self-bill invoices
Amber Employment Services, one of the many agencies we work with, places many temporary workers for their clients. Skills testing has a huge impact on the temps industry. Rebecca Bannerman, Director of the Surrey based recruitment firm, shares how Voyager Infinity has improved candidate experience.
“The candidate’s experience is significantly improved. In today’s market, candidates are looking for brief, informative and engaging hiring experience. It’s simple, it’s stress-free, candidates can email their assessments with an easy to follow link, and results are automatically filtered through to our database for review. Candidates can complete the tests in the comfort of their own home at any time. We find that it’s a huge benefit as candidates are far more at ease, and clients get a true picture of their capabilities in a virtual office setting.”
What is the best software for recruitment agencies placing candidates on contract?
Recruitment firms specialising in placing contractors understand the value of speed and efficiency. These are vital when you have to find the best candidate with some specific requirements within a short time frame. Now with the upcoming IR35 legislation that will come into effect from April 6th 2020, the responsibility of engaging IR35 compliant contractors fall to the recruitment agencies supplying the services of these workers to the clients.
Contract recruitment agencies need these key features in their software:
- Online timesheets
- Candidate availability planner
- Skills testing
- Raise sales invoices for contractors
- Comprehensive compliance and right to work checks and management systems
Here’s Clayton Dempster of contracting agency BRS Jobs on the impact of Voyager Infinity on his business:
“It took me 5 years with my first agency to get to the point where we’re at now with BRS in only 18 months. We have a great team environment, great partners and we’re ready and primed for the fight for the best perm, contract and temp talent.”
What is the best recruitment software for retained executive search firms?
Retained search firms operate very differently to contingent search firms. The recruiting process can take up to 90 days, is project based and is research intensive. Functionality for this type of recruiting will include:
- A database structure that treats “People as People” and doesn’t artificially differentiate between “Candidates” and “Clients”.
- The ability to quickly source candidates from sites such as LinkedIn and GatedTalent.
- Extensive reporting functionality, including both traditional printable / emailed reports, and online client portals.
- The ability to track relevant KPIs including “days to shortlist” and key candidate and sourcing ratios.
Retained executive search is so different to other type of recruiting, that we actually encourage potential clients not to buy from us – we have a sister brand – FileFinder – which is dedicated to delivering the best software for retained executive search.
It’s not just about the CRM!
I’ve talked about some of the key requirements that you might need to consider when selecting the best recruitment software solution for your agency. I’ve tried to go into detail based on the different business models used by agencies – but even this is over simplistic.
For a lot of niche recruiters, a major driver is being able to put forward candidates who are proven to be a good fit for the role. In this context, lots of recruiters will look for a recruiting CRM that integrates with skills testing software that allows them to validate the ability of the candidates that they propose.
It’s also not an ATS!
This article is about the software used by recruitment agencies. As in, companies which exist to recruit top talent on behalf of hiring managers at the clients’ end. These staffing agencies have entirely different needs to that of a Fortune 500 company looking to buy a system for managing job seekers – so called “active candidates” – and, as a result, an entirely different type of recruiting platform – the Applicant Tracking System (ATS).
While there are some similarities – support for job postings, for example – recruiting tools designed for the recruitment firm will require some things that the end client will not – business development, is a good example. On the other hand, the reverse is also true. Lots of ATS systems have talent management functionality bolted on.
So, which is the best recruitment software supplier?
However, there is one thing that every recruitment agency should seriously consider when selecting a new CRM software. Support. Your new database is a business-critical application. You are dependent on it. If it’s not available, or your users are not able to operate it, you have a major problem. It doesn’t matter how powerful the functionality if you can’t log in.
This is why I’d recommend that you look beyond the software and look at the supplier. Voyager Software is delivered by Ikiru People. We are part of a global public company, supporting recruitment agencies in more than 60 countries. We work hard to deliver the best support and – unlike virtually any other mainstream supplier – we ask our clients to validate our efforts through Trustpilot.
At the time of writing, we have an overall score of 4.5 out of 5 stars from 224 independent reviews. I’d suggest that – while there may be no single “best recruitment software” there is a strong argument to say that there is a “best recruitment software supplier” and that we are it!
And which is the best recruitment software for your agency?
If you’ve made it this far, I think it’s reasonable for me to assume that you are in the market for a new recruiting CRM. So, what is best practice for making a buying decision?
Firstly, choose a shortlist of vendors. Obviously, you’ll want to include us in that list (!), but hopefully you’ll find others based on some of the advice we’ve provided above.
Ask for a presentation. All of the mainstream suppliers will do a live demonstration, and it’s a great opportunity to ask questions.
Don’t limit your questions to product functionality. The software needs of your agency will change over time, and so will the functionality of your chosen product. However, you need to maintain a close working relationship with your chosen vendor – probably for a decade.
Questions to ask your shortlisted recruitment software suppliers
As a result, look beyond the demo – here are some good questions to ask about the ability of a supplier to support you:
- I’m in the UK (or Australia, or wherever!). When I call for support, who will answer the phone? Can I get a full support service in my time zone?
- Where will my data be hosted? If you are in the UK, that’s where you should expect your data to be. If you are in Australia, expect your data to be in Australia. The further away your data is, the longer it will take to reach you. As an aside, if you are in Europe, be very careful about selecting a supplier who is not. GDPR compliance might not be a priority for that part of the world, but GDPR applies strictly in Europe!
- Speaking of which – your software system plays a key part in achieving legal compliance. How much does the vendor know about the law as it pertains to what you do? Ask about GDPR. Ask about IR35 (if relevant to your business). If the sales person can’t answer your question, it’s very unlikely that the support representative will be able to!
- How many staff do you have? Where are they based? How long have you been trading? How are you funded? How can you convince me that you will be here for the long term?
- Ask for references. Keep in mind that any references you are offered are likely to be targeted – the sales representative will target happy clients! For more “genuine” or independent recruitment agency software reviews, I’d suggest you consider Trustpilot or similar.
I hope you’ve found this article helpful in helping you determine which of the myriad options is the best software for recruitment agencies in general – and your agency in particular. We’d love to talk to you about how we can help with your technology needs. To schedule a demo, get in touch with our team.
This article was written by Pramila Rai – email@example.com.
Voyager Infinity and Voyager Mid-Office are software solutions that make Recruiter’s lives easier. Voyager Infinity is a CRM used be thousands of top Recruiters globally to source, nurture and maintain the relationships of tomorrow placements, and Mid-Office manages the entire Pay and Bill process.